Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Avoid the pink slime...grind your own beef.

Pink slime is all over the news!!! I have been grinding my own ground beef for about a year and a half now.  Occasionally I get lazy and buy some, but for the most part grinding beef is very easy and you can use meat that is on sale often making grinding it yourself cheaper for leaner ground beef.  Buying the leanest ground beef (93/7) can cost upwards of $6 a pound.  One example would be boneless chuck roasts, which you can often buy for two bucks or less per pound.  You can mix different meats.  You can trim a little or as much fat off as you want.  The best part...no pink slime.  Here are my basic instructions for grinding your own beef.

Yesterday I did grind up about 4-1/2 pounds sirloin, which I had bought for $3 a pound.  Sirloin was very lean and this was my first time using just sirloin.  It tasted great, was very lean and was juicy even though there was very little fat!

For fun I made round bread!  Then we had patty melts with fresh ground sirloin patties, grilled onions and cheddar cheese.



















works for me wednesday at we are that family

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...