Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cast Iron Cornbread

I grew up eating cornbread this way.  It is the yummiest way to cook it.  Nice and crispy, almost fried on the edges.  The only difference between now and then is that I add sugar.  I am half Yankee after all!  I just don't know how those Southerner's do it without sugar.



The dry ingredients.



Throw in the buttermilk and the egg.  You could mix them in a separate bowl and then add them in, but then you would have another dirty bowl.



This batter will be nice and thick.



My skillet looks a little dry.  I am not that good at keeping it seasoned well, but the butter will help to season it some.



Here it is, just put in the oven (I forgot to take a picture before I put it in the oven).  Look what the butter does.  It sneaks up over the top.....




Cornbread
  • 1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar (I use demerara)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add egg and buttermilk and mix well. Once oven is heated to 425 degrees place 10 to 11 inch cast iron skillet into over with 4 tablespoons unsalted butter. Watch carefully to not burn butter, but melt the butter completely.  Be careful, the pan will be HOT.  Swirl the butter around in the pan and then pour in the batter.  Spread batter out evenly.  Return to oven and bake for 18 to 25 minutes, until toothpick test comes out clean.  Mine only took about 18 minutes, but my skillet is 11-3/4 inches. Slice into wedges and serve.  No extra butter needed.  This stuff is already very buttery.  I serve this last night with White Chicken Chili.

2 comments:

  1. I often bake my corn bread in a skillet but have never done the butter first - where have I been?! I can just imagine the flavor that adds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do cornbread the same way... just made some with a pot of chili last weekend. Really like your site and look forward to being a regular reader!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...