Monday, June 27, 2011

What Kind of Bread Did You Make Today?

I have been making bread for many years.  It has gotten to the point where I cannot really stomach most store bought bread.  I am not a snob...really.  I buy bread, I buy bagels.  But I like homemade bread so much better and my ingredient list is a lot shorter. 


Today Santa and I made some honey, wheat and oat bread.  It was a tasty loaf.  It was really tasty when it was hot out of the oven and I sliced off the end and smeared it with butter and honey!



Honey, Wheat and Oat Bread

  • 1 T. yeast
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1-1/2 cups warm water (not hot!)
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 t. salt
Combine yeast, honey, water, oats and wheat flour in the bowl of your stand mixer.  Mix well with a spoon. Cover with a towel and let stand for 1 hour.  It should look puffed up and bubbly.  Add all-purpose flour and salt.  Knead for 5 minutes with dough hook.  Shape into a ball and let rise, covered, for 1/2 an hour.  Punch down and shape into loaf.  (This makes one 10 inch loaf.  I use a 10 inch Norpro loaf pan.)  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover and let rise for another 1/2 an hour.  Bake bread for 35 minutes and cool on wire rack.  Fresh bread is easiest to slice once it has cooled...but who can wait?




This post has been linked to Meatless Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...