Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade Instant Oatmeal....like the packets.



When I saw this recipe I knew I had to give it a try.  My eldest is always reminiscing about the the days of old when she only had one sibling and her momma would buy her instant Brown Sugar and Maple oatmeal packets.  This is not really an economical purchase now with more mouths to feed.  We must have been rich or something ;O)  I found this recipe in the Farm Bell Recipes section  of the Chicken's in the Road site.  I put the ingredients together this morning in a jiffy and served up a bowl.  Ummm...the person who posted this recipe has a real sweet tooth!  I quickly adjusted the ingredients and now have my own recipe for Homemade Instant Oatmeal!


HOMEMADE INSTANT OATMEAL
  • 1-1/2 c. light brown sugar
  • 1 T. vanilla
  • 2 t. cinnamon
  • 4 cups quick oats, ground up
  • 4 cups quick oats, whole
Combine brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.  In a blender grind up oats, 2 cups a time, until coarse flour texture. In a large bowl combine brown sugar mixture, ground oats and whole oats.  Your done!  Store in an airtight container.

To make:  Measure 1/3 to 2/3 cups instant oatmeal into bowl. Pour in desired amount of boiling water or milk to thickness desired.  Add a slab of butter and a sprinkling of salt. 

I am going to pick up some maple extract next time I am at the store and use it instead of vanilla in my next batch, then it will truly be Brown Sugar and Maple instant oatmeal.

This post is linked up with Raising Homemakers and Tasty Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...