Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Nana's Apple Crumb Pie

My favorite pie is apple, but only if it is my Nana's apple pie recipe.  Cooked at a high temperature, for almost an hour leaves you with very soft, almost mushy apples.  I do not like crunchy apples in my pie.  If I want a crunchy apple, I will grab one out of the fridge and eat it.


APPLE CRUMB PIE
1 pie crust
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 cup sugar
1 t. cinnamon

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, chilled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare pie crust in your favorite manner. 


Peel and thinly slice apples.  Toss apples with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more). 


Evenly layer the apples into the crust.  Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 3/4 cup flour.  Cut butter into eight slices and put in with flour.  Cut in butter with pastry cutter until you have pea size and smaller crumbs.  Sprinkle evenly over apples, being sure to cover the entire surface. 


Place pie on a cookie sheet to catch anything that might bubble over.  Bake for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes check pie to be sure it is not getting to brown.  If it is getting to brown, lightly tent with foil.  Spin pie around 180 degrees and cook for another 20 minutes, making sure it doesn't brown to much if not covered with foil. 


Cool on rack for a couple of hours before serving.



Check out more fun stuff at Works For Me Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy! I am loving all of your recipes! They are definitely right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you put anything on the apples to keep from turning brown? Have you ever used a Pillsbury (or the like) kind of crust? I've never made an apple pie, but really want to try. I'm kind of " nervous" so if you have any tips, I'd love to hear them. Thanks! Jenny

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...