Monday, August 15, 2011

Breakfast Cake...a treat on the first day of school!


This morning we had Breakfast Cake.  My friend Anna says her kids love it.  I had yet to make it...why was I dragging my feet?  The kids loved it.  I thought it was very yummy too!  Yesterday I got busy grinding up some wheat.  I made bread last night and started the Breakfast Cake, which needs to soak overnight.  I am especially fond of of things that soak overnight.  Hard red wheat tastes much better after soaking a good 8 hours.


BREAKFAST CAKE
Find this and other yummy recipes at Heavenly Homemakers.
  • 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup raisins, chocolate chips or dried fruit (I used 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips and thought it was plenty!)
The night before combine melted and cooled butter, wheat flour, oats and buttermilk in a glass bowl.  Cover with a tea towel and leave on counter overnight or for at least 8 hours.  The next morning preheat oven to 350 degrees. The mixture that was left on the counter will seem really hard...at least mine did.  I stirred it up some before adding the rest of the ingredients.  I was skeptical.  Add the honey, eggs, salt, baking soda, vanilla and chips of choice.  The mixture still seems rather thick...but press on!  Butter or spray a 13x9 inch pan.  Spread mixture into pan.  Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.  Enjoy warm or cooled. 

This is very filling.  We ate half the cake (5 of us) and will have the other half tomorrow. 

Just another Meatless Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...