Friday, August 26, 2011

Homemade Chicken Stock/Broth


Wow, that was easy.  While I was sleeping I made chicken stock!  Here is what I did.  I made French Chicken in a pot.  We pretty much eat a whole chicken in one setting...only bones and skin left.  I saved bones and skin and whatever meat was left on bones in the fridge until I was ready.  Next, when I was ready, I placed the chicken carcass in my crock pot.  I added 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped and 2 yellow onions, quartered.  Next, I filled my crock pot with water, almost to the top.  I did not add any extra seasonings since the chicken skin was already seasoned from dinner.  I set my crock pot on low and let it cook overnight...12 hours.  I removed the stone insert from my crock pot and let it cool for a couple of hours.  Next, I poured the stock through a strainer, into a large bowl.  Then I ladled the stock into jars and placed the jars in the fridge.  This made 8 cups of homemade stock.  It smelled awesome.  Once completely chilled I scraped the fat solids off the top.  I used half my stock later that night when I made Chicken Orzo with Feta cheese for dinner.  It was delicious.

CHICKEN STOCK/BROTH
  • 1 chicken carcass, bones, skin, fat
  • 2 yellow onions, quartered
  • 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
You could also add:
  • Carrots
  • Garlic
  • Salt and pepper
  • Whatever you fancy
Place all ingredients in crock pot.  Cover with cold water.  Turn crock pot on low and let cook for 12 hours.  Cool.  Strain out veggies, bones, etc.  Ladle into jars and place in fridge.  Once completely cooled, the fat will have separated and floated to the top.  Skim off that fat and store in fridge for 1 week or in freezer for up to 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...