Thursday, February 16, 2012

Nacho Casserole

Delicious!  Pinterest is the best thing since sliced bread.  At first glace of the ingredients I wondered what Ranch Style Beans were...then I went to the store and there they were in the bean asile...Ranch Style Beans.  They are kinda like a chili bean...pinto beans in a chili-ish sauce. I did change the name of the recipe at the prompting of my #2 chick.  She said, "This should be called Nacho Casserole."  Now it is.


Let me say a few words about the above picture.  Look at that can of Ranch Style Beans...it looks straight out of the 50's.  I was wondering if it had been on the shelf since the 50's?  I would also like to say if you have seen the movie Food Inc. and are a strict Food Inc'er this recipe is probably not for you...I saw that movie and followed a strict Food Inc'er way for about a day...then I came to my senses.  I love fake cheese.

Nacho Casserole
The original recipe, originally called Mexican Casserole, can be found at Plain Chicken.


  • 1 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 can Ranch Style beans
  • 1 10-12 ounce bag tortilla chips, crushed 
  • 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes (I throw mine in the blender...then there are no tomato chunks for the people to complain about!)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Sour cream and salsa for serving


Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large skillet, brown meat with onion and drain off fat. Stir in beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, soup and water. Simmer over medium-low heat until everything is well combined and heated through. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish. Put down a layer of crushed tortilla chips, followed by a layer of the meat/bean mixture, then half of the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers. Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with sour cream and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...