Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Vegetable Beef Soup

Money Saving Mom posted this recipe on her blog the other day.  I thought it looked tasty.  I changed a few things to fit what I had around the kitchen and the result was a delicious and thick and hearty soup.  Everyone loved it but the boy.  The boy only likes peanut butter or grilled cheese.  Oh well.  I am sure he will expand his pallet someday. 


Vegetable Beef Soup
  • 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 2 cups onion, chopped
  • 4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups carrots, diced
  • 2 cups celery, diced
  • 4 (14.5 oz. each) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 c. white or brown rice, uncooked
  • 10 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon basil
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 bay leaves
Brown ground beef and onion together until lightly browned. Drain off excess fat.  Add all remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered for another 2 to 4 hours.  Stir occasionally and add more water if needed. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if necessary and a few cranks of black pepper. Remove bay leaves before serving.  This will make 18 to 20 cups of soup...enough to feed a crowd.  I would imagine this could easily be done in a crock pot (or probably 2).  Just brown beef and onion, and then throw the rest in the crock pots.  I am quite sure you would need two.  I have never heard of anyone having 2 crock pots.  I have often thought 2 would be handy, especially when making stew and it is hard to fit all the potatoes in!  I was inspired to consider another crock pot by Kim at Large Family Logistics who has...drum roll please...FIVE crock pots!  Now that is some serious large family cooking.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...